I AM EUROPE (iEU) is an exploratory expedition into the heart of the European Citizenship concept. Through this project we want to learn what citizens’ participation can mean in a European context, and find out what is needed so that European citizens get more involved in EU policymaking.
From January to June 2013, around 250 European citizens from eight EU countries are gathering in different locations to exchange, explore, evaluate and (re-)invent participation tools to enlarge the influence the citizens can have on EU policies.
This project aims to enrich the general public debate on European Citizenship and hopes to put forward innovative models of citizen participation that can be applied at the EU level. We chose to work with citizens who are already strongly engaged at local level because we believe they can be the motor of change within the EU. If the EU becomes more appealing to its citizens and generates greater participation, it will be mainly thanks to committed and active citizens.
The project is designed in small steps so that participants can bridge the gap between the local and the EU level:
- Exchange of best practices: the project starts with research and exchange of local citizenship initiatives and best methodologies (link to the catalogue) developed by the participating organizations.
- Citizens’ meetings and deliberations: the project continues with a series of citizens meetings organized on all partner sites, followed by joint sessions for group delegations. At these joint sessions the delegations will discuss themes such as: European values, the EU’s impact on daily lives, potential and limits of participation as a political instrument (on local and EU level), communication strategies towards policymakers and community.
- Final conference: the project culminates in a final meeting in Brussels, attended by all participating citizens, policymakers and thinkers to discuss the citizens proposals and new perspectives for EU democracy.
The main activities are:
- January-March 2013 : 9 local preparatory citizens’ meetings in all participating countries.
- March-May 2013: 3 joint sessions of the citizens’ delegations in Antwerp, Paris and Warsaw.
- June 22, 2013: final conference attended by all participants in Brussels
I AM EUROPE is an initiative of the Evens Foundation with the support of the Europe for Citizens Program of the European Union, and our generous partners. This website reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein.